Privacy Notice – for contacts and clients we engage with
This privacy statement explains how we collect and use personal information about you.
Who we are
Walton Kilgour Limited is the data controller and the data processor. Walton Kilgour Limited will process personal data about you to the extent that this is required for performing the functions that you have asked us to carry out for you.
We confirm that we will comply with the provisions of the GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018 when processing personal data about you and your family and that we have appropriate security measures in place.
What personal information we collect
We will collect that personal information that is necessary for us to provide you with the services you have requested. This information comprises, inter alia, personal details such as
- full name and details of any changes
- date of birth
- address and details of any changes
- national insurance number
- unique taxpayer reference number
- marital status
- return to work form where applicable
- passport and/ or driving licence details and other identifying information
Where we collect personal information from
This information will be collected from yourself and, where available, from publicly available sources.
How we use your personal information
The purposes for which personal information is processed may include any or all of the following
- deliver services and meet legal responsibilities
- verify identity where this is required
- communication by post, email or telephone
- understand needs and how they may be met
- maintain records
- process financial transactions
- prevent and detect crime, fraud or corruption
We will process your personal data in order to provide you with the services you have requested and to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations. We will also process your personal data for management and analysis purposes.
You will receive relevant updates from us, as part of our service offering on issues that may affect you or your business.
If you do not provide your personal information
In order to carry out the terms of this engagement you agree to provide us with your personal information and understand that failure to do so will negatively impact the services we provide.
How long we retain your personal information for
Any personal data we hold on you or your family will be stored securely on our systems for a period of time defined by our internal data retention policies. Generally, this will be for the duration of our engagement with you and thereafter for as long as is required by the law.
Who we share your personal information with
Your personal data may be processed by third parties for the purposes of:
- Specialist financial and taxation advice including fee protection services
- Secure document storage and disposal
- Accounting and taxation data processing via cloud based processing
In relation to these organisations, we have in place a written contract which only permits them to use your data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions. The contract also requires that the organisation has in place appropriate security measures in relation to your personal data which are in line with our policies.
Unless you have already informed us not to do so, we may contact you occasionally by mail or e-mail to share news and insights, or tell you about products or services we think you will find useful. To unsubscribe from receiving such communications, or to tailor your preferences, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Using our website
We may collect the following information from our website users.
- Your visits and use of our website
- IP address,
- browser type,
- referral source,
- length of visit
- number of page views
The purpose for collecting this information is for:
- Information about the number of visitors and their use of the site will only be used for statistical purposes (in aggregate form) to improve our website’s usability and for marketing purposes.
- Provision of newsletters and/or other Walton Kilgour Limited marketing materials
- Registering and/or subscribing to our website service
- Provision of other requested business information regarding our services
The Recipients of personal data
Information provided by you will be stored securely, kept strictly confidential, and will not be disclosed to any third party without your explicit consent, with the following exceptions:
- In order to give you the information and advice that you require we may need to disclose your information to regulatory authorities.
- Our compliance advisers, and our regulatory body may require us to disclose certain client details to them in the normal course of their duties.
- The hosting of our web site, and of associated client data, is carried out by Krystal Hosting. We use Bee Herd Media Ltd to manage our website. Krystal Hosting & Bee Herd Media only process this information to provide the functionality of the web site.
Access to your information – You have the right to request a copy of the personal information about you that we hold.
Correcting your information – We want to make sure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date and you may ask us to correct any personal information about you that you believe does not meet these standards.
Deletion of your information – You have the right to ask us to delete personal information about you where:
- You consider that we no longer require the information for the purposes for which it was obtained.
- We are using that information with your consent and you have withdrawn your consent – see Withdrawing consent to using your information below.
- You have validly objected to our use of your personal information – see Objecting to how we may use your information below.
- Our use of your personal information is contrary to law or our other legal obligations.
Objecting to how we may use your information – You have the right at any time to require us to stop using your personal information for direct marketing purposes. In addition, where we use your personal information to perform tasks carried out in the public interest then, if you ask us to, we will stop using that personal information unless there are overriding legitimate grounds to continue.
Restricting how we may use your information – In some cases, you may ask us to restrict how we use your personal information. This right might apply, for example, where we are checking the accuracy of personal information about you that we hold or assessing the validity of any objection you have made to our use of your information. The right might also apply where this is no longer a basis for using your personal information but you don’t want us to delete the data. Where this right to validly exercised, we may only use the relevant personal information with your consent, for legal claims or where there are other public interest grounds to do so.
Automated processing – If we use your personal information on an automated basis to make decisions which significantly affect you, you have the right to ask that the decision be reviewed by an individual to whom you may make representations and contest the decision. This right only applies where we use your information with your consent or as part of a contractual relationship with you.
Withdrawing consent using your information – Where we use your personal information with your consent you may withdraw that consent at any time and we will stop using your personal information for the purpose(s) for which consent was given.
Please contact us in any of the ways set out in the Contact information and further advice section if you wish to exercise any of these rights.
Changes to our privacy statement
We keep this privacy statement under regular review and will place any updates on this website. Paper copies of the privacy statement may also be obtained directly from us.
This privacy statement was last updated on 23 May 2018.
Contact information and further advice
You have the right to complain about the processing of your personal data and in the first instance please send any concerns you have to our Privacy and Compliance Manager via email@example.com and we will do our best to help you.
We seek to resolve directly all complaints about how we handle personal information but you also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office, whose contact details are as follows:
Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
Telephone – 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745
Website – https://ico.org.uk/concerns